Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Wake Up and Sell Something!

I woke up one morning to the headline in the business section of one of the papers I read saying Prices, industrial production fall.

After thinking through this terrible awful headline I sat back and had a sip off coffee.

Consumer prices and industrial production fell in the U.S. as a record slide in retail sales destroyed companies purchasing power, idling a quarter of the nations factory capacity with the cost of living falling 0.7% making industrial output to shrink 2%. Then I read how this attributed to the lowest level of confidence in at least 3 decades. Taking another sip of coffee I thought 3 decades that was1978. Interesting as I flipped open my profit/loss book. 1978 sales grew that year for me. Interesting, and not just a little 3% or 4%. In 2008 prices rose only 0.1% which was down from 4.1% in 2007. Personally my company did much much better in 2008 than 2007. Interesting. Take out food and energy and consumer prices were unchanged in December and up only 1.8 for the year. Over all energy costs were down 21% for the year the biggest decline since 1958. Again interesting.

Larson note: Now taking another sip of hot black coffee, how can I, you, we, take advantage of what is going on here? Well as production goes down doesn’t that mean that inventories are going to be going down? Then as people, someone, anyone, you, me, Tim my neighbor buy’s something, all those factories are going to have to start making things and buy raw materials and purchasing services again. They are going to be making new stuff and who are they going to buy their raw materials and services form? Joe the raw material guy or Tom, Larson & Associate’s client? NO brainer if I have my way I will have Tom in a position to sell the stuff or at the worst bid on selling stuff or on their next project to as many people as possible. It is all in your perspective and the positioning of yourself now, not later. When people are buying it is too late (well it is never too late) to ride the crest of the wave or prosperity as you power into the shore. Don’t let the headlines dictate what you should be doing. There is activity out there in companies purchasing departments; the only question is who will those purchasing professionals be buying from?

Sure I want us working more at our industrial capacity and sure I want unemployment lower, much lower. What can I do? I can sell something.

Howard Larson
Larson & Associates
Target Marketing & Telesales Professionals for new account acquisition
Making good businesses great and great businesses even better
847-991-0488
larsonassoc1975@yahoo.com
http://www.geocities.com/larsonassoc1979/1
http://larsonassociates.blogspot.com
http://member.merchantcircle.com/larsonassociates
http://businesswarfare.ning.com/profile/HowardLarson
http://teamcircle.ning.com/profile/HowardLarson

http://twitter.com/LarsonAssociate


P.S. Get in control of your own marketing destiny with a guerilla marketing consultation. Call today and schedule your appointment.

*Source: Daily Herald, Chicago Tribune, Wall Street Journal

No comments: